The Church of the Redeemer in Jerusalem is closely intertwined with the German Kaiser
The Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in Jerusalem was inaugurated on Reformation Day of 1898 in the presence of the German Kaiser Wilhelm II. In 1869 the Ottoman sultan had donated a portion of the "Muristan” to the Prussian royal family for building. The German Kaiser had the Church of the Redeemer built on the ruins of those of the Crusader-period Church of St. Maria Latina, to continue in its tradition.
Church and Community
The Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in Jerusalem was inaugurated on Reformation Day 1898, in the presence of Kaiser Wilhelm II.
The medieval cloister is double-storey and forms the inner courtyard of the building complex.
The church and the adjoining Provost’s Office belong to the Protestant Jerusalem Foundation of the Protestant Church in Germany.